Project Progress

internetslowdown_day

Processing Progress…Please wait…

I’m sorry the file you are searching for cannot be found. (Just kidding! I felt the need for some humor. Forgive me.)

So far, the only progress I’ve made is random writing, which I guess counts for something. I have also made little lists of the things I want to discuss. The most exciting thing so far is that I’m not completely lost in my awesome topic anymore, thanks to the help of Professor and my peers. I have a clearer idea of what I’m doing for the draft. I have also been really considering my justification for using the primary sources that I did, especially because (as pointed out by Sara) there are many other films that do similar things that I will talk about (I think I may be close to an answer though).

I have also progressed in my ideas of how to structure the project. I figured it would be helpful (and kind of cool) to use two or three images from one or both series that I will be discussing to help with reader comprehension. However, this is a blessing and a curse because there are no images online that already capture the scenes I’m using (nobody cares like I do). Thus, arises a new frustration (if I even do this) to go in search of the scenes myself and take screenshots.

To add insult to injury, a new source that I had found to be promising and went to pick up, has mysteriously disappeared from the Queens public library. This is a sad day, but never mind, I shall find something else (I hope).

I am also thankful that what is due now, is just a draft (i.e. not being graded), but I will still do my best on it. I’ve been struggling with my paper sounding to much like a rant about television. I’m working towards making my draft sound more scholarly, but also bearable to read for my peers.

So far, I’ve been using Hayot’s strategy of writing a bit at a time, and as often as possible. Although, I’ve literally been writing—on paper (it helps me think). I also think that Walk’s move of the information on the topic being limited is actually motivating me. I mean this in the least cheesy way. When I think of how little attention my primary sources have been given, it makes me feel as though I’m actually making a contribution to scholarship by pushing through my paper.

*Sorry for all the parentheses. My sleep-deprived inner voice kept surfacing. I literally had to stop myself at a point.

4 thoughts on “Project Progress”

1. Hi Asheka! So far, so good! I’ve also been using Hayot’s “little bit at a time” strategy to make sure that I keep thinking about and making little spurts of progress. I’ve also been working on exactly identifying what parts of my primary sources I want to discuss, and isolating them– aka copying down all the quotes and paragraphs into a Google Doc so I don’t get distracted. This is harder with TV, but I’m only using about 15 minutes of a movie, and one major conversation so I just listened a few times and typed it up word-for-word. I have this annoyance with going back into all my sources all the time; I like having everything in one place. But it seems like you’re thinking about your topic and getting your writing together, so that’s good! It’s almost harder to figure out the thinking and organize it than sitting down to write (because you can always revise). Good job! You got this!

2. This sounds great. Keep at it–a little at a time. I think using images is a great idea.

In the spring, if you want to integrate video, you could use a WordPress site for your project. There would be some sense in that.

Don’t try TOO hard to sound “scholarly.” Sometimes that makes things awkward and unreadable. Just explain your ideas and your sources in clear prose.

3. Sometimes a valuable, but frustrating part of writing is deciding what we DON’T want to include. Yesterday I wrote an annotated commentary for another class and spent as much time deleting and discarding as I did completing. Tomorrow I have to complete a large painting for my painting class. I have re-worked and painted over every corner of the damn thing more than a few times and still haven’t gotten it quite right.
    It sounds like you are finding your way through the forest, though. Your written voice is always interesting, informative and easy to understand — almost conversational. I love that! I agree with Professor Tougaw about not trying to sound too scholarly. Your unique voice is the perfect voice.

4. I’m actually finding the same thing difficult as you are–analyzing film and TV. I’m so used to analyzing language that subconsciously and through classes I’ve learned how to develop a vocabulary for close reading and analysis of texts. I did take one media studies-type class in which I learned a bit about camera angle and stuff like that which I think will have to become part of our lexicon for analyzing our sources. I think something that may help you is finding sources that deal with film theory in general, because it will give you a sense of how to go about analyzing and using moving images. I think your approach to this whole paper is really smart–just trying to write and seeing where it goes. I’m way too much of a perfectionist to do that without a profound level of anxiety, but it seems to be working for you.